Thursday 26 March 2009

The more things change... the more they stay the same

For all of you who read this blog and I know that it’s not that many I feel it’s high time that I put some more in for you to read.

It’s been a few days since I was at work and I’m delighted to inform you all that nothing has changed. The loads are still as dodgy as ever, there are still no dollies for the chicken which is still palletised with no regard for health and safety or manual handling guidelines.

Monday I was on my allocated delivery route, as route that is assigned to a 26 tonne vehicle due to the number of deliveries and the volume of things to be delivered to the various stores around the streets of our capital city. The only problem I found was that whilst volume didn’t seem to be a problem to the colleagues who allocate the vehicles and the loaders managed to squeeze a quart into a pint pot, the weight was. My vehicle was nearly half a tonne over max weight and the rear axle weight was too high as well.

Time for a vehicle change to a 26 tonne 6 legger and no-one has reported the faults on this as well. No rear door retainers to stop them swinging in the wind and no oil in the power steering system either. The door problem was sorted by the addition of a drivers mate. It still took 40 minutes at the local Scania dealer to get the power steering sorted.

All the deliveries were made though and it says something about our planning that it took two of us to get the route completed though.

Tuesday was a different kettle of fish. 14 hours and 25 minutes PLANNED with 9 deliveries and a collection as well.

So nice of the transport department to tell me that drop 1 didn’t order so I sat at drop 2 in Ross on Wye for 45 minutes until they arrived. Drop 3 was 14 miles away and I was given a window time of 0915 – 1015, ok until you realise that Drop 2 is 0900 – 1000. The impossible I do on a daily basis… Miracles take me a little longer.

I ran at the end of the window for the next 2 drops, was late at the 2 after that and made it back into the window for the last two. The only problem is that there’s a collection to be made from Crumlin in Gwent. As I started at 0530 I was out of hours at 2030 meaning I had to be headed back from Wales at no later than 1745.

I pulled back into the yard at 2028, was on a loading bay for 2030 where I left the lorry with everything on board and then came home for 2 days rest and recuperation. This is now day 2 and I return to work tomorrow to see how things have improved. Well here’s hoping anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment