Wednesday 8 April 2009

Why I hate my job.















Well dear readers it has been a while since I updated you with the latest happenings on the road with a national food distribution company. I hope you’ve been wondering if things have improved… Well dear reader I can assure you that it hasn’t.

The main problem we seem to have is with the loading of vehicles at the moment. For example, chicken for the famous military based fried food outlet is supplied in trays of 25kg (55lb for our American friends). This might not sound a lot but when you have to move 27 of them over 4 deliveries it does turn into a lot of weight, moving them means that they have to be taken off the pallet onto dolly wheels and then into the unit for delivery.

Health and Safety guidelines for manual handling say the following weights should be handled… Shoulder height – 10kg, Elbow height 15kg, Waist height 25kg, Knee height 15kg and ankle height 10kg.

This Monday I had 6 trays on one pallet with no dolly for drop 2. I then had the 27 on a pallet for drops 5,6,7, and 8. the pallet hadn’t been wrapped to secure it and with no dollies. Moving this around was very slow.




It gets worse though. On Tuesday I had one of the worst loads I’ve ever had. 27 trays of chicken on a pallet and not wrapped properly as I would expect. At least he put some dollies on board. This particular loader saved his special effort for the frozen food. The photos you can see show drops 2 & 3 and 4 & 5. In both cases he’s stripped some of the first drop off, forklifted the next pallet on and then put the remnants of the first drops back on top again.












Apparently you can get the sack for slapping another employee so I can’t exact retribution the way I’d like. Official complaints have been made.

Lets see what fun we have on Good Friday… I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment